Monday, May 25, 2009

Letter from Yelihan Fofanna, Smith junior, from Guinee Conakry

Dear Annie,

I am so sorry for responding so late. Thank you again for this opportunity. I am so grateful to be part of your project, as I have long thought about the absence of opportunities available to young students back home, and the economic future of my country. I am glad that your project provides me guidance, and a place for women like myself to share thoughts and stories about where we come and what we can do collectively to move forward.

I first heard about Smith College through my father, and through the information the Smith Website and the Princeton review provided me. To be honest, I wasn’t one of those students who did extensive research before applying to college, because I was more concerned with keeping my high school grades up, getting a good score on the SATs and studying for finals! So I would truly have to say that Smith found me as opposed to the other way around. When my acceptance letter came in the mail, I still didn’t know as much about Smith as I should have. I was lucky enough to visit the campus, and it was then that I realized that Smith College may just be the place for me.

I am originally from Guinée, Conakry, situated on the west coast of the African continent. The country has witnessed its share of political upheavals in the past few years, notably in the past year, after the death of President Conté resulted in a military takeover of the government. Currently, the country is run by army chiefs, who have failed to commit to the constitution by dissolving the parliament and by neglecting the democratic values the country is founded upon. Guinée possesses one half of the world’s bauxite reserves; unfortunately, government corruption and political instability have prevented the country from exploiting its outstanding mineral resources, thus crippling the nation’s economy. Witnessing the challenges my country has faced over the years and still faces has made me think about my future aspirations and my contribution to the betterment of Guinée. I am especially grateful to my parents for having foresight, and for giving us, their children, the chances and opportunities that my friends back home may not have had. And what continues to sadden me is the lack of guidance and the misinformation of young and like-minded students, who if given the same opportunities, would flourish in their distinguished fields.

My family moved to England in 2001. I am confident that without my parents’ decisions, I would have never heard of or applied to Smith. And I have to admit that Smith College has proven to be an exceptional place of learning, personal growth and self-discovery. I have just completed my sophomore year and am now a rising junior. I can’t believe two years have already passed. I am an Economics and Spanish double major, and am particularly interested in Economic Development and would love to return home one day and use my education to make positive impacts in my community.

Thank you again for considering me to be a part of your project. Let me
know if you have more questions.

Sincerely,
Yelihan Y. Fofana