Wednesday, January 14, 2009

From Aigerim Karabekova, Kyrgyzstan, Class of 2012

Hello Annie,

I am sorry for the late response. Again, thank you for this opportunity to participate in the project. Feel free to post this in the blog, I'd love to share my experience with others.

I come from Kyrgyzstan, one of many "stan's" left from the former Soviet Union. Situated in the heart of the Asian continent, it is a magnificent land of sky-piercing mountains and ice-cold lakes. Nomadic life is the key to extraordinary 22-century-old Kyrgyz culture, although it had put the nation far behind economically. It has become customary for women with degrees to do nothing except housekeeping because it is believed by many that only man should be the bread-winner. It is also considered usual in Kyrgyz society for a girl to get married right after finishing high school and to not attend a post secondary institution. This is why I am infinitely grateful to my parents, who understood that nowadays it is crucial to step over outdated foundations and to allow their daughter go to another continent for better education, even if it would cost them
a lot both financially and emotionally.

I found Smith by accident. Before finding an old viewbook in a local resources center I did not know about Smith College. In fact, I had no idea that there are women's colleges in America. At first I was skeptical about applying to Smith, but after visiting college's website I submitted my application in Early Decision round - Smith seemed to be a place where I would feel happy even being away from home - and became the first student from Kyrgyzstan to have a chance to attend it. However, whether I would study in the States depended more heavily on my family's financial possibilities, than on the admission board's decision.

I would not be able to come here if I had not received Soros Foundation's Opportunity Grant, which paid for transportation and entry visa application expenses, because the sum my parents could pay for my education was not enough to send me to Smith. It was a risk to come here as I did not know how I would finance my upcoming years at college, but a semester of living at Smith proved that it was worth the risk. It helped me determine my goals and showed me how I can achieve them.

Our independent country is only 19 years old; it is suffering from political and economic instability, and unstoppable migration. This is one of the reasons which made me want to study development economics and international finance - I believe that thorough knowledge in these fields will enable me to contribute to building a prosperous country.

The first step to this, I think, is to tell the students, who are responsible for the future of Kyrgyzstan, about study opportunities abroad, and to encourage them to apply. It is also crucial to show that women of our society are capable to do much more than what they are allowed to do at this time. This is why I am truly grateful to Smith Class of 1978 for launching “Fulfill the Potential” Scholarship Project
- your contribution will definitely make a difference not only for the students themselves, but also for all the people who will benefit from those Smith students' knowledge and skills.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Aigerim Karabekova
Osh, Kyrgyzstan
Class of 2012