Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Letter from Roya, current Smith College Junior, from Afganistan

Hello Annie

It is my pleasure to write you. Thank you very much for the email and
writing me about your project. Your project seems to be wonderful; it is
like one of my best wishes to accomplish in future. Coming from the
poorest and war torn country, Afghanistan, I understand the fundamental
value of education. When I think of war, inequality, poverty and
corruption in underdeveloped countries, I can only think of a core
solution such as education, specifically for women in underdeveloped
countries. I believe that through education, the most disadvantaged
women in the world will be able to challenge the global problems.

In 2004, I came to United World College (UWC-USA) in New Mexico for a
two year, international baccalaureate diploma, program from Kabul
Afghanistan. I was in grade 10th when I heard about UWC scholarship in
my high school from a friend. I applied to this scholarship during my
grade 11th. I became interested in studying at Women College when I was
still at UWC. So I applied to Smith College as early decision in the
fall of 2006. Now, I am a junior. My major is economics and my minor is
international relations. I am interested in international development,
which I would love to study for my master degree in future.

As a result of all the gaps in my education, I have faced a lot of
challenges, specifically at UWC. Before coming to UWC, my education
background was not even comparable to a grade sixth student in the US. I
completed my grade three when the civil war made us to move from one
place to another in Kabul. When I started school for the second time, I
began to study my grade six. Unfortunately, I was not able to finish my
sixth grade when the Taliban closed schools for girls for five years.
After the fall of the Taliban, I attended grade nine, in 2003.

During the first two years of the Taliban, I took the risk of following
the underground education which was taught by a female teacher. But
after a month, I was almost rejected from the class because I could not
afford it. I did not ask my father for money, I knew he had to support
my family of eight. Among my talents were sewing and knitting, I sewed
all day in order to make money. This however, was not enough. I was
still not able to pay my fees or help my family. I also helped my mother
knit at night. We stayed awake most of the nights knitting dozens of
jackets, gloves and socks for sale. I was working so hard and getting
little money. I was not happy also because of the lack of education.

Then, I took a decision to teach children inside my house to raise money
for my education and my family’s welfare. The best experience I had then
was the joy of teaching. After the fall of Taliban regime I was the
first female who dared to teach outside of the house in my area. I was
also able to get a part time job in an organization after Taliban regime
due to knowing some English.

I know today, Afghanistan is totally different place for women compare
to the end of 2002, which schools and jobs are opened to women. However,
the financial problem and family restriction on women are still big
obstacles for the development of women in Afghanistan specifically and
other underdeveloped and developing countries generally. I still believe
that working together we can reach to our common goals for developing
better lives for women around the world.

I would love to answer any specific question and concern. Please let me
know if I can help with anything.
Thanks again for writing me and being interested in my background.
Best luck
Roya