Monday, January 12, 2009

From Raquel, Smith Class of '12, St. Vincents and the Grenadines

Dear Ms. DeGroot,

Certainly you can send this to the other women. Thank you very much. I
had applied to the London School of Economics and had received an offer
for my bachelor's degree, but finance limited my ability to attend
there. I am very interested in attending that institution for graduate
studies to pursue studies in actuarial science. If any of the women can
help in connecting me to anyone here, that would be great. However, I
only finished my first semester in my freshman year, so I want to keep
my options and mind a bit open. If any of the alumnae are involved in
professions in the areas of economics, actuarial science, even
accounting, I would love to hear from them and get any advice they can
offer.

Raquel


R. A. Blossom Frederick
Smith College 2012
*********

“We have decided
Not to construct hope on continents
Or leave lost hearts to rove
In the quick air on oceans of dreams
We have decided to build here in the slender dust”
(Campbell, 1951)

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Raquel Frederick"
Date: January 12, 2009 2:52:29 PM EST
To:
Subject: Re: Smith Class of 1978 “Fulfill the Potential” Scholarship Project. O

Dear Ms. DeGroot,

Firstly, I appreciate your contacting me regarding this project.
Assisting with the future development and sustainability of my country
and the West Indian region is something that is very close to my heart.
I make no bones about the fact that I wish to return home after my
schooling, and after I have amassed enough experience to be able to make
positive impacts on the economic future of St. Vincent and the
Grenadines. If the “Fulfill the Potential” Scholarship Project of the
Class of ’78 will help to guide me, and other women from my country, I
will be excited to be a part of it.

St. Vincent and the Grenadines was known to it’s first inhabitants as
Hairoun, meaning “Land of the Blessed”- and blessed are we to live in
islands so rich in history, culture and nature, though not economically.
I am interested in pursuing a career in either developmental economics
or actuarial science. However, I am open to other areas that might
stimulate my interest more, since there are many ways that I can help my
country. The reason that I am considering a career in economics is not
so we play catch-up with other more developed nations; attempts to do so
in the past have proved unfruitful and unsustainable. Instead of joining
the ranks of those who simply criticize, I would like to educate myself
and be an active participant in preparing for the future.

“Brain drain” is a serious issue faced by many developing nations where
their professionals leave the countries that need them for better
opportunities overseas. Apart from an International grant from Smith, my
Smith schooling is possible due to assistance from sponsor families back
home. They were willing to assist me because I am desirous of returning
home to help with the development of the nation, and because I received
the top national results in the 2007 A’Level examinations.

If you or your group would like to know anything else about myself or
about St. Vincent, I will be happy to respond. Thank you so much for
even considering me to be a part of the project.

Respectfully,
Raquel Frederick


R. A. Blossom Frederick
Smith College 2012

...
To never forget your own insignificance....
To pursue beauty to its lair.
To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple.
To respect strength, never power...